N8VEM 6809 host processor running CUBIX
lynchaj
2009-12-08 02:51:08 UTC
Hi All! I just wanted to share that one of the N8VEM builders has
CUBIX running on the N8VEM 6809 host processor. It is pretty neat to
see and dramatically improves the usability of the system.

I am still working on the IO mezzanine board and it is finishing in
the trace router. I don't know when it will finally complete as the
board is rather complex and is taking its time in the optimizer.
That's OK though since it is has dramatically improved.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
lynchaj
2009-12-08 02:52:53 UTC
On Dec 7, 9:51 pm, lynchaj <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All!  I just wanted to share that one of the N8VEM builders has
> CUBIX running on the N8VEM 6809 host processor.  It is pretty neat to
> see and dramatically improves the usability of the system.
>
> I am still working on the IO mezzanine board and it is finishing in
> the trace router.  I don't know when it will finally complete as the
> board is rather complex and is taking its time in the optimizer.
> That's OK though since it is has dramatically improved.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> Andrew Lynch

BTW, who else is running CUBIX on their m6809 CPU? I'll take Dave as
a given.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Dave Dunfield
2009-12-09 13:59:03 UTC
>BTW, who else is running CUBIX on their m6809 CPU? I'll take Dave as
>a given.

Yes indeed - I do have a couple of CUBIX systems running :-)

I don't think there's much of a user base now, but I have been
contacted by a few people fairly recently who have built up systems.

CUBIX is a small and fairly portable OS for the 6809 that I designed
back in the 80's - It used to be a DDS product, but now is available
free. The complete package (source code, documentation, sample
schematics etc.) is available on my site, as is a simulator which
lets you boot it up and try it out on a PC.

--
dave09@ Low-cost firmware development tools: www.dunfield.com
dunfield. Classic computer collection: www.classiccmp.org/dunfield
com
lynchaj
2010-01-16 04:25:54 UTC
On Dec 7 2009, 9:51 pm, lynchaj <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi All!  I just wanted to share that one of the N8VEM builders has
> CUBIX running on the N8VEM 6809 host processor.  It is pretty neat to
> see and dramatically improves the usability of the system.
>
> I am still working on the IO mezzanine board and it is finishing in
> the trace router.  I don't know when it will finally complete as the
> board is rather complex and is taking its time in the optimizer.
> That's OK though since it is has dramatically improved.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> Andrew Lynch

Hi! Just a quick update on the N8VEM 6809 host processor and the 6809
IO mezzanine board.

The good news is the PCBs have arrived and I've worked out the part
selection so the mezzanine rises about the host processor PCB using
standard parts. I am not done testing it yet but I've gone as far as
I can with the parts I have available. More parts are on order.

I have constructed the new board and partially populated it with some
ICs. It seems to work but I am missing the VIAs and PTM. However the
ACIA seems to work as does the serial cable and the power interface.
I still need to test the bus interface but that will wait until I am
sure the VIAs, PTM, and ACIA are all working.

My 6809 computer is now running in stand alone mode using a 9VDC power
adapter. It seems to work fine.

One of the N8VEM builders has ported CUBIX to the 6809 host processor
and is planning on writing some drivers for the IO mezzanine board.

At least in theory once this 6809 project is done it should be
possible to make another PCB with other peripherals to make the 6809
computer even more independent of the N8VEM ECB system. It would also
provide additional IO for the ECB based system when connected.

Would there be interest in a Propeller based IO board for the 6809? I
just completed one for the N8VEM system called PropIO. I believe that
design could easily be adapted to the 6809. The PropIO board
interfaces to the SBC through the ECB and provides PS/2 keyboard, VGA,
and microSD. That would be a neat addition to a 6809 computer. It
may be an interesting alternative to a NEC765/6845 style board.

If anyone is interested in joining the development of the N8VEM 6809
devices please join us on the N8VEM mailing list and wiki.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, I have many low cost PCBs available if anyone would like to build
their own homebrew 6809 computer.
lynchaj
2010-01-17 19:50:02 UTC
On Jan 15, 11:25 pm, lynchaj <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7 2009, 9:51 pm, lynchaj <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All!  I just wanted to share that one of the N8VEM builders has
> > CUBIX running on the N8VEM 6809 host processor.  It is pretty neat to
> > see and dramatically improves the usability of the system.
>
> > I am still working on the IO mezzanine board and it is finishing in
> > the trace router.  I don't know when it will finally complete as the
> > board is rather complex and is taking its time in the optimizer.
> > That's OK though since it is has dramatically improved.
>
> > Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> > Andrew Lynch
>
> Hi!  Just a quick update on the N8VEM 6809 host processor and the 6809
> IO mezzanine board.
>
> The good news is the PCBs have arrived and I've worked out the part
> selection so the mezzanine rises about the host processor PCB using
> standard parts.  I am not done testing it yet but I've gone as far as
> I can with the parts I have available.  More parts are on order.
>
> I have constructed the new board and partially populated it with some
> ICs.  It seems to work but I am missing the VIAs and PTM.  However the
> ACIA seems to work as does the serial cable and the power interface.
> I still need to test the bus interface but that will wait until I am
> sure the VIAs, PTM, and ACIA are all working.
>
> My 6809 computer is now running in stand alone mode using a 9VDC power
> adapter.  It seems to work fine.
>
> One of the N8VEM builders has ported CUBIX to the 6809 host processor
> and is planning on writing some drivers for the IO mezzanine board.
>
> At least in theory once this 6809 project is done it should be
> possible to make another PCB with other peripherals to make the 6809
> computer even more independent of the N8VEM ECB system.  It would also
> provide additional IO for the ECB based system when connected.
>
> Would there be interest in a Propeller based IO board for the 6809?  I
> just completed one for the N8VEM system called PropIO.  I believe that
> design could easily be adapted to the 6809.  The PropIO board
> interfaces to the SBC through the ECB and provides PS/2 keyboard, VGA,
> and microSD.  That would be a neat addition to a 6809 computer.  It
> may be an interesting alternative to a NEC765/6845 style board.
>
> If anyone is interested in joining the development of the N8VEM 6809
> devices please join us on the N8VEM mailing list and wiki.
>
> Thanks and have a nice day!
>
> Andrew Lynch
>
> PS, I have many low cost PCBs available if anyone would like to build
> their own homebrew 6809 computer.

Hi! I put some photos of the N8VEM 6809 host processor and 6809 IO
mezzanine board up on the N8VEM wiki if you are interested.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/browse/#view=ViewFolder&param=m6809

The IO mezzanine is partially assembled and tested. The ACIA and
power interface works fine. I am still waiting parts for the VIAs and
PTM. So far, ASSIST09 works fine although I cannot test the hardware
assisted break points/single step until the PTM arrives.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch