uP Schematic
P Colyer
2007-04-16 03:52:43 UTC
I've just finished building a small 6809 project and am curious if there has
ever being released a schematic diagram of the 6809 uP showing all the
gates/latches etc etc

In fact has any uP ? or do the manufacturers still hold copyrites.

Pat
james
2007-04-17 21:16:55 UTC
+++I've just finished building a small 6809 project and am curious if there has
+++ever being released a schematic diagram of the 6809 uP showing all the
+++gates/latches etc etc
+++
+++In fact has any uP ? or do the manufacturers still hold copyrites.
+++
+++Pat
+++
*******************

Any patents on the MC6809 have now long expired. Any copyrites on the
MC6809 are still in effect.

As for the logic diagram for the MC6809, there is no official release
of the internal diagram. Motorola would not allow that to happen. You
can do patent searches and piece together a possible circuit. You have
to remember that the MC6809 is modeled after the MC6800. Some of the
internal logic schematics can be gleened from the several patents that
cover the MC6800 processors. There are also about five or six patents
that were also filed by Motorola that have significance to the MC68090
and other processors like the MC68HC11.

Even if you do finally put together a logic diagram of the MC6809 it
will be for a NMOS ASIC device. You may or maynot get the same
performance using standard TTL/HCMOS logic devices. Even an FPGA may
not yield the same performance.

james
P Colyer
2007-04-22 19:20:50 UTC
Post by james
[...]
James

Yes you are right I have never ever seen any "schematic" on the web
regarding any design of any silicon.

Excuse my ignorance but there are 6809 FPGA cores out there. What happened
if say the FPGA was clocked at 1MHz with a 6809 core - how would that
compare with the real 6809 uP percentage wise -
90% slower ?

Pat
james
2007-04-23 02:19:24 UTC
+++>
+++> >+++I've just finished building a small 6809 project and am curious if
+++there has
+++> >+++ever being released a schematic diagram of the 6809 uP showing all the
+++> >+++gates/latches etc etc
+++> >+++
+++> >+++In fact has any uP ? or do the manufacturers still hold copyrites.
+++> >+++
+++> >+++Pat
+++> >+++
+++> *******************
+++>
[...]
**************

No problem there
+++Excuse my ignorance but there are 6809 FPGA cores out there. What happened
+++if say the FPGA was clocked at 1MHz with a 6809 core - how would that
+++compare with the real 6809 uP percentage wise -
+++90% slower ?
+++

There are two or three commercially available cores for the MC6809. I
am unaware of their costs. As for timing I can't speak on that. I have
heard that the opensource is very close. ALl will operate existing
software written for the MC6809.

james