Is this thing on?
lynchaj
2010-12-30 02:23:02 UTC
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.

If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Andy Valencia
2010-12-30 07:00:07 UTC
Dave Wade
2010-12-30 22:19:13 UTC
Post by lynchaj
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
I am here but not doing any 6809 stuff....
Andrew Lynch
Charles Richmond
2010-12-31 04:43:31 UTC
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have
been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
I am here but not doing any 6809 stuff....
Andrew Lynch
There is a Radio Shack Color Computer Yahoo group that has a
little traffic occasionally. (The CoCo used the m6809.)

The 6809 was a great 8-bit MPU with a great machine/assembly
language, but *no* one seems to care except the bit-twiddlers. I
care...
| Charles and Francis Richmond |
| |
| plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |
lynchaj
2010-12-31 15:21:27 UTC
Post by Charles Richmond
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have
been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
I am here but not doing any 6809 stuff....
Andrew Lynch
There is a Radio Shack Color Computer Yahoo group that has a
little traffic occasionally. (The CoCo used the m6809.)
The 6809 was a great 8-bit MPU with a great machine/assembly
language, but *no* one seems to care except the bit-twiddlers. I
care...
|     Charles and Francis Richmond       |
|                                        |
|  plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com   |
Hi! Thanks for answering! I was starting to fear the 6809 hobbyists
had all faded away.

So what *are* 6809 fans working on these days?

You can probably see from previous posts the builders at N8VEM have
been busy.

What else is happening? What are 6809 hobbyists interested in?
NitrOSFLEX, CUBIX, or something else?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, I would like to add some kind of Tandy CoCo compatibility to N8VEM
host processor but it seems to use a piece of custom logic for memory
management.

Also the MC6883 and MC6847 are extremely rare these days.
v***@vsta.org
2010-12-31 17:20:39 UTC
Post by lynchaj
PS, I would like to add some kind of Tandy CoCo compatibility to N8VEM
host processor but it seems to use a piece of custom logic for memory
management.
The GIME chip was a lot of the Coco's magic, and was an idiosyncratic
hairball. Back when Frank Hogg was looking at the Tomcat post-Coco 6809
design, he told me it was the fatal flaw of his system concept to tie it to
the GIME. So, sadly, I'd recommend not trying to shoot for Coco HW
compatibility. But a clean MMU for a 6809 board would be great!
--
Andy Valencia
Home page: http://www.vsta.org/andy/
To contact me: http://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html
james
2011-01-03 03:20:07 UTC
On 31 Dec 2010 17:20:39 GMT, ***@vsta.org wrote:

|The GIME chip was a lot of the Coco's magic, and was an idiosyncratic
|hairball. Back when Frank Hogg was looking at the Tomcat post-Coco 6809
|design, he told me it was the fatal flaw of his system concept to tie it to
|the GIME. So, sadly, I'd recommend not trying to shoot for Coco HW
|compatibility. But a clean MMU for a 6809 board would be great!

The MMU in the GIME is rather straight forward. Essentially it is a
dual port 16x6 ram. The COCO3 is a paged memory setup where each page
of virtual memory is 8K bytes each. The RAM provides the upper six
bits of the address for a memory map of 512 Kbytes. The read port is
the upper three bits of the standard 64K address along with a task
bit. This allows 8 8K pages for two different tasks. The write port is
from the lower three bits of the 64K address along with the task bit
and write enable decoded for what ever 16 address block you wish to
map the MMU to.

Rather simple. Expand the ram to 8 bits and you can access 2 Mbytes.
This was a rather simpler implementation than to try using the MC6829
MMU chip that was developed by Motorola. Although more complex, it was
limited to 2Kbyte blocks. Multiple MC6829 chips could be used to have
upwards to 32 tasks and I think 8 Mbytes of RAM.

The GIME also used IDMA(Interleaved DMA) for memory access for both
the video and program/data. It used the E clock to determine whether
the video section or the MPU was accessing RAM based on when the Clock
was low or high. This chip had to have a set of multiplexors for the
ROW and column address as well as a monster mux for the video address
and the program address. Timing had to be a nightmare.

This scheme works nicely as long as you use low resolutions and not
large screens. Also back then 120nS 256Kx1 drams were huge in cost. I
seem to remember I paid something like $199 for 512Kbyte dram board
for the COCO3. CGA standard graphics is about as large as you can go
with the GIME chip. You just can't push enough data through the pipe
to do VGA at even 16 colors. But in 1986, 256 colors and VGA
resolutions were a dream. Considering that the GIME chip probably
started design phase as early as 1984/1985.If my memory serves me
correct, back then the design cycles for ICs were genrealy 18 months
to 24 months and at least three passes of silicon.

There were no VHDL/Verilog or computers to simulate the whole chip
then. Breadboards and hope that the chip reacted the same as the
breadboard.

Oh well the trip down memory lane has to lead to sleep eventually.

james
lynchaj
2011-01-05 01:26:35 UTC
Post by james
|The GIME chip was a lot of the Coco's magic, and was an idiosyncratic
|hairball.  Back when Frank Hogg was looking at the Tomcat post-Coco 6809
|design, he told me it was the fatal flaw of his system concept to tie it to
|the GIME.  So, sadly, I'd recommend not trying to shoot for Coco HW
|compatibility.  But a clean MMU for a 6809 board would be great!
[snip]

Hi! I tend to think full hardware compatibility with the CoCo is not
a realistic goal due to the GIME. It is a large complicated ASIC
which would not be easily replicated if it is possible at all. From
that view point, what *is* a reasonable 6809 project? What would it
include and what would it look like?

I think the MC6809 had an associated MMU chip but as I understand it
they are very rare similar to the MC6847 and MC6883 chips. Probably
they are obtainable from www.area51esg.com but would require quantity
buys and generally not practical. There may be other vendors.

The 6809/6802/6502 host processor board for the N8VEM project is just
a straight CPU, ROM, RAM, PIA board. It can be expanded to include
more PIA and a ACIA and PTC chip using the IO mezzanine board.

I am curious to hear what the 6809 hobbyists are thinking in terms of
what a desireable 6809 SBC would look like.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
David Knoll
2011-01-06 19:06:04 UTC
Post by lynchaj
I think the MC6809 had an associated MMU chip but as I understand it
they are very rare similar to the MC6847 and MC6883 chips. Probably
they are obtainable from www.area51esg.com but would require quantity
buys and generally not practical. There may be other vendors.
You mean the 6829? This seller, who I bought some from a while ago,
still has lots:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-MMU-SC67476-MC68B29-Qty-9-off-/7521099658
--
David Knoll
Anti-spam: Change 'news1' to 'david' for my real address.

: MADNESS ( n -- ) CR ." This is SPART" 0 DO 65 EMIT LOOP 33 EMIT CR ;
james
2011-01-09 02:13:18 UTC
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 17:26:35 -0800 (PST), lynchaj <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:

|Hi! I tend to think full hardware compatibility with the CoCo is not
|a realistic goal due to the GIME. It is a large complicated ASIC
|which would not be easily replicated if it is possible at all. From
|that view point, what *is* a reasonable 6809 project? What would it
|include and what would it look like?

Actually the documantation on the GIME chip is sufficient that it can
be reproduced within a FPGA with some work. Most of the chip is
control registers and a rather simple CGA graphics section.

I started coding a GIME chip a few years back and got all the control
registers done with decode logic done. The only real thing left to do
would be to do the CGA graphics and IDMA multiplexor. Maybe one day I
will get back to finishing it.

james
Andy Valencia
2011-01-09 04:41:48 UTC
Post by james
Actually the documantation on the GIME chip is sufficient that it can
be reproduced within a FPGA with some work. Most of the chip is
control registers and a rather simple CGA graphics section.
Yes, when Frank Hogg was looking at this for the Tomcat, FPGA's were
not on the RADAR screen. I even have a C-one to try it on!

Andy
Contact via http://www.vsta.org/contact/andy.html
james
2011-01-10 02:44:51 UTC
On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 20:41:48 -0800, Andy Valencia <***@vsta.org>
wrote:

|On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 21:13:18 -0500, james <***@bud.u> wrote:
|> Actually the documantation on the GIME chip is sufficient that it
|can
|> be reproduced within a FPGA with some work. Most of the chip is
|> control registers and a rather simple CGA graphics section.
|
|Yes, when Frank Hogg was looking at this for the Tomcat, FPGA's were
|not on the RADAR screen. I even have a C-one to try it on!
|
|Andy

Quite true. CPLDs were just starting to replace the common PLAs like
the 16L4s and others of that type. VHDL as a standard language really
did not become of age until 1987. Verilog followed in the early 90's
if I remember correctly. Before these, generating programing files was
a bear. Abel and other languages were just limited.

Besides in the late 80's, CPLDs were rather expensive then. WIth the
onset of quarter micron technology did the price really start to break
on the devices. Now they are pushing 45 nanometer and I believe 35
nanometer technology is just starting to emerge. This can bring rather
large devices (FPGAs) at rather lower costs with rather high speeds.

james
lynchaj
2011-01-10 01:28:44 UTC
|Hi!  I tend to think full hardware compatibility with the CoCo is not
|a realistic goal due to the GIME.  It is a large complicated ASIC
|which would not be easily replicated if it is possible at all.  From
|that view point, what *is* a reasonable 6809 project?  What would it
|include and what would it look like?
Actually the documantation on the GIME chip is sufficient that it can
be reproduced within a FPGA with some work. Most of the chip is
control registers and a rather simple CGA graphics section.
I started coding a GIME chip a few years back and got all the control
registers done with decode logic done. The only real thing left to do
would be to do the CGA graphics and IDMA multiplexor. Maybe one day I
will get back to finishing it.
james
Hi, is the project small enough to fit in a CPLD or does it require an
FPGA?

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
james
2011-01-10 02:37:22 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 17:28:44 -0800 (PST), lynchaj <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:

|Hi, is the project small enough to fit in a CPLD or does it require an
|FPGA?
|
|Thanks and have a nice day!

really needs to be in a FPGA.

The design requires at least 512 single bit registers. CPLDs have one
register for each macrocell. 512 Macrocell divices are expensive. With
FPGAs FlipFlops are essentially free. There is an input and output FF
associated with each IO pin and then each logic cell of Configurable
Logic Block has at least two FFs.

I guess it migh be feasable to break the design up into two or three
CPLDs. I have never investigated that avenue.

james
james
2011-01-03 02:49:00 UTC
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:21:27 -0800 (PST), lynchaj <***@yahoo.com>
wrote:

|PS, I would like to add some kind of Tandy CoCo compatibility to N8VEM
|host processor but it seems to use a piece of custom logic for memory
|management.
|
|Also the MC6883 and MC6847 are extremely rare these days.

For the COCO 1/2 that would not be all the difficult. The operation of
the 6847 and the 6883 are pretty straight forward.

As for the GIME chip, it does have a custom MMU logic as well all the
video and system configuration registers. It is an interesting chip.
IT is even rarer than the MC6883 and MC6847 chips. There were only two
years of production of that part, 1986 and 1987.

james
Mike Huskey
2010-12-31 22:52:30 UTC
Post by lynchaj
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
This usenet group is rather slow, but the coco mailist is rather active.

---
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Brian Dominy
2011-01-01 17:50:50 UTC
I have been working on a port of the GCC compiler suite to the 6809
for the past several years. There's not much left to do; it has a few
bugs but works pretty well. I'm using it to write new software for my
pinball machine which has a 6809 processor driving it. I've also
heard from a few others using it for some interesting projects.

You can learn more about it at my webpage at http://www.oddchange.com/gcc6809.
The compiler runs under Linux, and for Windows users via Cygwin. I've
also written a simulator for testing 6809 programs without requiring
real hardware.

- Brian
Steven Hirsch
Nice work! Have you ever considered extending it to generate 6309 opcodes?
Brian Dominy
2011-01-13 13:44:36 UTC
Nice work!  Have you ever considered extending it to generate 6309 opcodes?
Steven, I have considered it and started the work, but I don't use the
6309 so
it's not as important for me now. The underlying assembler (the
asxxxx toolchain)
has to be modified to support the new opcodes (fairly easy), then the
compiler has to
be taught how to use the new opcodes and how to make best use of the
new registers.
For test purposes the simulator would also need to be updated.

Having never written 6309 code I'm not sure what the best strategy
would be, and
I'm not eager to spend months debugging GCC again, but it is
definitely possible and
would be a great project for someone else to tackle.

- Brian
Wouter
2011-01-04 10:32:36 UTC
Post by lynchaj
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
I've recently discovered Eternal September, so I have usenet again.

I'm slowly working on getting a Microbox II I bought from sumdood working.

6883 and 6847 are more available than WD2123 UART I tell ya :-)
Jim Hearne
2011-02-18 16:53:06 UTC
Post by Wouter
Hi!  Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group?  There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
I've recently discovered Eternal September, so I have usenet again.
I'm slowly working on getting a Microbox II I bought from sumdood working.
6883 and 6847 are more available than WD2123 UART I tell ya :-)
Hi Wouter,
I "found" a complete Microbox 2 in my loft a few weeks while clearing
out to move house.
Somebody must have given it to me years ago.
It has been fitted in a IBM XT pc case and has lots of documentation
and a load of software on 5.25" floppys inside the case.
I've got to sort out the pcb where the battery has leaked over it and
then i'll try powering it up.

Mine looks slightly different to the only one i can find on the net at
http://www.retro.co.za/6809/microbox.html
I'll take some pictures and scan in all the documentation when i get a
chance.

Is it possible to read or backup the Flex format floppy discs on a
DSDD 5.25" floppy drive on a pc ?

Many thanks,

Jim Hearne
Wouter
2011-02-25 09:14:17 UTC
Hi Jim
Post by Jim Hearne
Post by Wouter
6883 and 6847 are more available than WD2123 UART I tell ya :-)
Hi Wouter,
I "found" a complete Microbox 2 in my loft a few weeks while clearing
out to move house.
Bargain!

I found a WD2123 on eBay. Still have to test it.
Post by Jim Hearne
Mine looks slightly different to the only one i can find on the net at
http://www.retro.co.za/6809/microbox.html
That would be me :-)
Post by Jim Hearne
I'll take some pictures and scan in all the documentation when i get a
chance.
If you stick it up somewhere let me know and I'll link to it. Otherwise,
I can put it up on retro.
Post by Jim Hearne
Is it possible to read or backup the Flex format floppy discs on a
DSDD 5.25" floppy drive on a pc ?
It's possible, but there's some kind of an issue with the first track
being single density. The guys on the fufu list were talking about it a
while ago ISTR.

Joachim Gaßler
2011-01-24 10:43:10 UTC
Post by lynchaj
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
I am currently developing a 6809 system ;-)

Joe
lynchaj
2011-01-24 11:27:01 UTC
Post by Joachim Gaßler
Hi!  Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group?  There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
I am currently developing a 6809 system ;-)
Joe
Hi! It is good to see there is still some activity in the 6809
world! Do you have a webpage describing your system? Please post!

We had a bit of good news on the N8VEM system too. The new 6x0x host
processor board is testing out fine with 6809, 6802, and 6502 CPUs.
So far, CUBIX runs on the 6809 and now FLEX runs on the 6802 and soon
the 6809. The 6502 runs DOS/65 which is neat. The 6x0x host
processor board can be configured to run with the three common CPUs of
the Motorola/MOS type (6809, 6802, and 6502).

Getting CUBIX and FLEX running on the system is a milestone.
Hopefully now the system is maturing we'll see a bit more interest.
Here is a thread on 6502.org with links and pictures of the new
board. I have plenty of the PCBs if anyone is interested in making
their own 6809 homebrew computer. New builders and developers are
welcome -- please send me an email at ***@YAHOO.COM for contact.

http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?t=1750

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
Joachim Gaßler
2011-01-25 06:29:29 UTC
r***@internode.on.net
2011-01-27 22:38:54 UTC
Hi Joe,

Thats sounds very interesting. I'll have to wait patiently to see some
more details from you on it.

/Rob

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:29:29 +0100, Joachim Gaßler
Post by Joachim Gaßler
Post by lynchaj
Hi! It is good to see there is still some activity in the 6809
world! Do you have a webpage describing your system? Please post!
No website yet, but soon. Goal is a 68B09 system w/ 2MHz CPU speed,
2x512kb RAM, 8kb ROM, RTC, console via FT245R USB chip. Mass storage
interfaced by a 40pin IDE connector w/DMA capabilities. Control logic is
realized with an EPM7128 CPLD.
Several PCB layouts are already blueprinted, currently I am evaluating
the CPLD logic equations, as I'd like to implement some
hidden/interleaved DMA mechanism for keeping the CPU running while DMA
ops. An experimental OS is also in development.
I'll inform you about the further steps soon.
Joe
lynchaj
2011-02-01 15:20:17 UTC
Post by Joachim Gaßler
[...]
Hi! FLEX is running on the 6802 portion of the N8VEM 6x0x system.

https://files.pbworks.com/download/gc5w4uhlgj/n8vem-sbc/35580896/FLEX%20for%20the%20N8VEM%20HOST%20PROCESSOR.pdf

I have plenty of PCBs so if any 6809 hobbyists would like to join in
you are certainly welcome.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
djr
2011-03-29 21:06:48 UTC
Hi

Just resurrected SWTP 6800 system, now working on Dragon 32 (6809) and
adding CF drive

news.mixmin.net

Andrew Lynch
Dave McGuire
2011-04-02 11:44:22 UTC
Post by djr
Just resurrected SWTP 6800 system, now working on Dragon 32 (6809) and
adding CF drive
I have an SWTPC system that was given to me awhile back. I still
need to dig into it to see exactly what's there. I'm anxious to do so,
but likely won't be able to get to it for a few months due to a (likely)
upcoming move.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL
djr
2011-04-02 13:58:54 UTC
Dave

I am in the UK but if I can be of help then let me know.

I have a driver program for Flex2/6800 that mounts a PC disk in Flex,
(rewritten from a 6809 version on the internet)

Useful site is www.swtpc.com

Dave

Port Charlotte, FL
Dave McGuire
2011-04-02 16:27:19 UTC
Post by djr
I am in the UK but if I can be of help then let me know.
Thanks! It will likely be awhile before I can get to it, as we're
working on the possibility of moving. That will give me a LOT more
workspace, so that'll make everything much easier.
Post by djr
I have a driver program for Flex2/6800 that mounts a PC disk in Flex,
(rewritten from a 6809 version on the internet)
Neat!
Post by djr
Useful site is www.swtpc.com
Michael Holley's site, yes, thank you! I've been pulling down some docs.

Do you know anything about UniFlex? I used a UniFlex system in high
school; it was used in our (fledgling at the time) programming courses,
covering Pascal. I've found and downloaded the big UniFlex archive;
sometime in the future I'd love to put together a system capable of
running it.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL
r***@googlemail.com
2013-09-22 16:28:12 UTC
Post by lynchaj
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
Andrew Lynch
The Vectrex has 6809 processor. There are still a bunch of people homebrewing for it, including me :)

We would welcome other 6809 fans to join us to help keep this unique games console alive.

i am developing on PC using AS9 assembler and testing using ParaJVE emulator. I have a vecmulti sdcard cart that allows be to run the bin file on the vectrex.

If you are interested check out this link with lots of info!

click the "DesignIt" link! http://www.playvectrex.com/
Johann Klasek - swap last two domainparts
2013-10-02 09:37:55 UTC
Post by lynchaj
Hi! Is anyone still monitoring this USENET group? There have been so
few m6809 related posts for so long I am starting to wonder if any
6809 homebrew hobbyists are left.
If you are there please post something! Thanks and have a nice day!
I think there are a lot of 6809 fans around, but they are splitted over
several mailing lists and web based forums. I would like to see here
more activity too, but the technique to handle a newsreader is gonna
lost somehow ...

Very active is the CoCo mailinglist and the Dragon Archiv Forum
http://archive.worldofdragon.org/

Maybe someone (me?) takes the opportunity, to report back into this
newsgroup some selected topic which may focused primarily on 6809 (and
family).

JeeK